Full course description
Houston, we have a problem!
We are living in an era of unprecedented complexity and interconnectedness. Some decisions we make might be so routine that we make them without giving them much thought, but challenging or complex decisions demand much more consideration.
It takes practice to recognise complex systems, and the challenges that come with embracing the unknown and facing novel situations that have many variables, with no single right answer. These are volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous (VUCA) environments, and they present unique challenges and opportunities for professionals and their teams.
How do you make effective decisions amidst:
- Multiple and, at times, competing factors in play?
- Gaps in information or data?
- New situations?
- No single right answer?
- High stakes and big consequences?
- Stakeholder-rich environments?
In this credential you will:
- formulate a better understanding of the forms of complexity and examine methods for managing them
- gain an appreciation of how complex problems differ from difficult problems and examine approaches specifically designed to address these ‘messy, wicked’ problems
- demonstrate an understanding and gain ’hands on’ experience of an approach which takes a systems thinking perspective and thus allows for deeper and holistic understanding of the situation along with assisting with the identification and assessment of options
- evaluate and work on a current complex problem.
What you will gain from this Credential
Successful completion of this credential earns a digital badge that is instantly shareable to your social networks (including LinkedIn) which showcases your skill mastery in Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems.
This credential provides intermediate knowledge and skills in a discipline, and usually requires some prior learning or experience.
You will also earn 5 credit points which are in line with AQF Level 8 criteria, ensuring comprehensive theoretical and/or technical knowledge of the credential.
What should you bring to this Credential?
Learning materials will be provided to you through the teaching of this credential and via Canvas, our Learning Management System. Learners are welcome to bring devices such as laptops and tablets to class, as well as any content they believe will contribute to the learning environment.
Where will my learning experience be held?
Our face to face and blended credentials, are delivered from our Curtin Campuses.
Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems will be delivered from:
Curtin’s Perth City Campus
137 St Georges Terrace
Perth Western Australia 6000
Curtin Credentials focus on five themes, which have been carefully curated based on what’s most relevant and valuable to professionals today, and in the future. This credential fits within the following theme:
Develop positive, sustainable, resilient and inclusive traits to guide your life, career, and organisational directions. Learn what it takes to motivate and inspire in a contemporary business setting.
*This credential involves one day of instruction, however to pass and gain five credit points, you will need to commit further time to complete the full set of learning activities including (but not limited to) self-guided study and research, extension readings, activities and the final assessment activity.